* US v Hamdan (CMCR June 24, 2011) (affirming conviction and sentence)
The en banc Court of Military Commission Review has ruled at last in Hamdan (but not yet in al-Bahlul), affirming the conviction and sentence. I will have much to say, but am away from the office at the moment. The PDF should be attached, or so I hope (I’m doing this via iPhone…).
09-002 Hamdan USCMCR Decision (June 24, 2011) (86 pages).pdf
- Robert M. Chesney is Charles I. Francis Professor in Law at UT-Austin School of Law. Chesney is a national security law specialist, with a particular interest in problems associated with terrorism. Professor Chesney recently served in the Justice Department in connection with the Detainee Policy Task Force created by Executive Order 13493. He is a member of the Advisory Committee of the American Bar Association's Standing Committee on Law and National Security, a senior editor for the Journal of National Security Law & Policy, an associate member of the Intelligence Science Board, a non-resident senior fellow of the Brookings Institution, a term member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and a member of the American Law Institute. Professor Chesney has published extensively on topics ranging from detention and prosecution in the counterterrorism context to the states secrets privilege. He served previously as chair of the Section on National Security Law of the Association of American Law Schools and as editor of the National Security Law Report (published by the American Bar Association's Standing Committee on Law and National Security). His upcoming projects include two books under contract with Oxford University Press, one concerning the evolution of detention law and policy and the other examining the judicial role in national security affairs.
- Intelligence2012.01.24Military-Intelligence Convergence and the Law of the Title 10/Title 50 Debate
- Chesney's National Security Law Listserv Archive2012.01.23United States v. Boyd (E.D.N.C. Sep. 14, 2011) (yes, another guilty
- Chesney's National Security Law Listserv Archive2012.01.23United States v. Harpham (E.D. Wash. Sep. 7, 2011)
- Chesney's National Security Law Listserv Archive2011.08.24forthcoming scholarship